Friday, December 20, 2013

Logitech TK820 combo keyboard & trackpad:

For original full review, see Amazon.   Please "Like" or leave comments.

I'm a long time happy user of the Logitech K400 wireless keyboard for my HTPC, after trying many, many keyboard/mouse combinations. I honestly thought my search for a keyboard had ended, but I happened to see this keyboard at my local Best Buy and after picking it up, I knew I had to try it!
Setup
Getting the TK820 started is a breeze. Just plug in the USB wireless dongle and let Windows auto-install the basic software and you will be ready to go in a few moments! It even ships with 4 AA batteries included, so nothing more to buy. It is not required but you can also install Logitech SetPoint software which gives access to a broad range of multi-touch gestures compatible with Windows 8.

Function
The first thing that drew me to this keyboard was the generously sized click-pad! Wow, its surprisingly awesome to have so much space to work with! The click-pad is similar to the ones on Apple MacBooks. Left click is a one finger click, right click is a 2 finger click. To drag, just hold your click and move your finger. Beware that the click pad has a hinge at the top, so the closer you approach to the top, the harder you may need to push. (not so different from my experience with apple). Supported gestures include all the favorites such as pinch-to-zoom, scrolling and swiping.

For your media center, there are convenient controls for volume, mute, play/pause/seek. I especially like the sleep button function to wake my HTPC (a must have function for any power efficient media rig). With my SSD hard drive, in 4-6 seconds I'm ready to browse my media! There is a conveniently placed on off switch for the keyboard itself, easy to see unlike the k400. Sure the keyboard is already a miser of power, running on normal AA batteries, but why not turn it off when not in use? It would be nice to have a backlit option, but I guess it would consume too much power. But why don't they make keys glow-in-the-dark?

Finish & Durability
Although this has a plastic shell, there is no doubt it has a much improved finish over the k400 (which has a much cheaper toy-like look). From the moment I picked this keyboard up, I was impressed with the rigidity and heft which gave a solid feel in the hand.

There are subtle features on the keyboard which are nice, like the indentations that let your fingers sink into the key centers. The stroke depth is shallow but the recoil gives a very pleasing tactile feel to typing. It is unfortunate but Logitech decided not to do etched letters on keys, but rather stickers which may not withstand long-term typing wear. Logitech has also done away with the USB dongle holder in the keyboard for stowing during transport.

All the things I liked about the k400 to complement an HTPC setup, namely the size and function, apply to the tk820 too. I've tried almost all the wireless keyboards, but the size and function are the two driving features that has made this form factor so popular among media center users. For the longest time I thought a handheld keyboard would be the way to go(Lenovo and Logitech both make decent ones) but they turned out to be just too small to be useful. K400 and now TK820 are juuuuuust right! (See them side by side below)



Other tidbits
Note that this is NOT a Bluetooth device, but rather Logitech's proprietary "Unifying" protocol. If it were anyone but Logitech, a proprietary system wouldn't fly. I'm not crazy about it, but they make a lot of good products so I've learned to live with the weakness. If you have several devices you can pair them to one dongle. (You cannot pair individual devices to multiple dongles.)

Raspberry Pi Users!
Works with my Raspberry Pi too! I'm running Wheezy Raspbian and tried OpenElec as well. The combination keyboard and trackpad is fantastic because it only takes up only one precious USB port! I would recommend getting a decent power supply for the pi (greater than 1amp, like the PowerGen dual) if you are running a wireless keyboard and wifi dongle together.

Summary
I didn't think I would be replacing my K400 this soon, but it doesn't suprise me that it would be a Logitech product to surpass it! Just the right size, function and durability in a sleek package!

5 stars! Will update as my impressions evolve. While I'm sad to retire my trust K400, I'm very impressed with it's upgraded cousin!

No comments:

Post a Comment